Having a baby can be a fun and rewarding experience, but it can also be expensive. There are many items that you need to purchase to prepare for your baby’s arrival, such as a crib, car seat, and diapers. These items can add up quickly, and it’s important to budget and plan accordingly. Adding items to your baby registry, such as diapers and other essentials, can help reduce costs and provide you with the necessary items for your baby’s arrival. Despite the expenses, the joy of having a baby and watching them grow and develop is worth every penny spent.
Congratulations on your journey into motherhood! A baby registry is a great way to ensure that you have all the essentials you need to care for your newborn. Here’s a detailed list of baby registry must-haves for first-time moms:
Crib AND Bassinet
A crib or bassinet is essential for many reasons:
- Safety: A bassinet or crib provides a safe place for your baby to sleep, reducing the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and other sleep-related accidents.
- Comfort: A good bassinet or crib provides a comfortable and secure sleeping environment for your baby, which can help them sleep better.
- Convenience: Having a designated sleeping space for your baby can make it easier for you to manage your baby’s sleep routine and create a consistent sleep environment.
- Longevity: A crib is designed to last for several years, meaning you can use it as your baby grows, whereas a bassinet is usually designed for the first few months of life.
Overall, having a safe and comfortable place for your baby to sleep is essential for their health and wellbeing. A bassinet or crib is a key item to have on your baby registry and should be one of your top priorities when preparing for your new arrival.
A car seat is one of the most important items on your baby registry for MANY different reasons.
- Protection in case of an accident: Car seats are specifically designed to protect infants in the event of a car accident. They are made with features such as a five-point harness, side-impact protection, and energy-absorbing foam to provide maximum protection in case of a crash.
- Compliance with the law: In most countries, including the United States, it is illegal to transport an infant in a car without an appropriate car seat. It’s important to comply with the law to ensure your baby’s safety and avoid any potential legal consequences.
- Proper positioning: An infant car seat is designed to keep your baby in a safe and proper position while traveling. This can help prevent injuries from sudden stops or impacts.
- Comfort: A good car seat is also designed to be comfortable for your baby. It provides support for their head, neck, and spine and is cushioned for a comfortable ride.
- Easy to transport: Car seats are designed to be easy to install and remove from your car, making them convenient to use and transport.
Overall, a car seat is an essential item to have when traveling with your infant in a car. It provides maximum protection in case of an accident and ensures that your baby is safe and comfortable while on the road.
Diapers and Wipes
You’ll need plenty of diapers and wipes. Consider registering for different sizes of diapers, so you’re prepared as your baby grows! Having diapers and wipes on your baby registry is important for so many reasons:
- Cost-effective: Babies go through a lot of diapers and wipes in their first few years of life, and buying them can add up quickly. By adding diapers and wipes to your registry, you can save money and ensure that you have enough on hand when you need them.
- Convenience: When you have a newborn, you’ll have a lot to do, and running out to buy diapers and wipes may not always be possible. Having a supply of diapers and wipes on hand can make your life easier and less stressful.
- Variety of sizes: Babies grow quickly, and they will need different sizes of diapers as they grow. By adding a variety of diaper sizes to your registry, you can be sure that you have the right size for your baby as they grow.
- Help from friends and family: Diapers and wipes are a common baby shower gift, and adding them to your registry can help your friends and family know exactly what you need.
- Practicality: Diapers and wipes are a practical and necessary item for any parent with a baby. Adding them to your registry is a practical choice that will help you be prepared for your baby’s arrival.
Overall, adding diapers and wipes to your baby registry is a smart and practical choice that will save you money, provide convenience, and ensure that you have the right size diapers for your baby as they grow.
Diaper rash cream
Diaper rash is so very common in babies, so be sure to register for a SAFE diaper rash cream. There are many safe diaper rash creams available on the market, and the best one for your baby may depend on their specific needs and sensitivities (my baby’s skin was SO sensitive). Here are a few options:
- Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment: This ointment contains petrolatum and mineral oil, which help create a protective barrier on the skin to prevent moisture from irritating the rash. This baby cream worked great with my baby’s sensitive skin!
- Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Diaper Rash Cream: This cream contains colloidal oatmeal, which helps to soothe and protect the skin. It’s also fragrance-free and hypoallergenic.
Remember to always consult with your pediatrician if your baby has a persistent or severe diaper rash. And make sure to check ingredients on some of the brands out there! Do your research on what chemicals to avoid when it comes to baby products like diaper rash cream. I didn’t realize the harmful ointments I was putting on my baby when she was first born.
If you plan to bottle-feed your baby, you’ll need bottles (and nipples). There are many high-quality baby bottles on the market, and the best one for your baby may depend on their specific needs and preferences. Here are some of the best rated baby bottles based on customer reviews:
- Dr. Brown’s Original Bottle: This bottle features an internal vent system that helps to reduce colic, gas, and spit-up. It’s also made from BPA-free plastic and is easy to clean.
- Comotomo Natural Feel Baby Bottle: This bottle is designed to mimic the natural shape and feel of a breast, making it a great option for breastfed babies. It’s also made from soft, hygienic silicone and is easy to clean.
- Philips Avent Natural Baby Bottle: This bottle features a wide, breast-shaped nipple that promotes natural latch-on and feeding. It’s also made from BPA-free materials and has an anti-colic valve to reduce fussiness and gas.
- Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Baby Bottle: This bottle features a unique, breast-like nipple that flexes and stretches like a natural breast. It also has an anti-colic valve and is made from BPA-free materials.
- MAM Anti-Colic Bottle: This bottle features a patented vented base that regulates pressure and airflow to reduce colic and gas. It also has a soft, skin-like silicone nipple and is easy to clean.
If you plan to breastfeed, a breast pump can be helpful for pumping milk when you’re away from your baby. I didn’t use a great pump because I formula-fed my babies, so I can’t recommend a brand or type, but I know they are something you will need!
If you plan to formula-feed, register for a few cans of formula! In addition to the cans, add some of the premade bottles of formula for when you’re on the go with your baby!
More Must-Have Items for Baby Shower Registry
- Burp cloths!
- Baby clothes: Register for a variety of baby clothes, including onesies, sleepers, and outfits for going out. And different sizes! Don’t just add newborn clothes because your baby will grow out of them so fast. Your best bet is to register for newborn, 0-3, 3-6, 6-8, and all the way up to 12 months!
- Baby bathtub
- Baby lotion and shampoo: Choose gentle, hypoallergenic products for your baby’s delicate skin.
- Baby monitor with video to ease your mind when you’re trying to relax or sleep!
- High chair
- Baby carrier
- Baby swing or bouncer: These can be helpful for soothing a fussy baby.
- Play mat or play yard
- Baby books
- Baby toys